With school holidays upon us and Christmas just around the corner it means that more of us will be going away on holidays, leaving our homes unattended. Here are some ways to keep your home safe both while you're there and when you're away.
- Always lock up, doors and windows. If you're in the back garden keep the front door locked or if you're lying down having a rest lock up the house.
- Lock away ladders or other tools that burglars could use to break into your house.
- Lock your sheds and garages if possible.
- Sensor lights can be a great security device.
- Keep bushes and trees trimmed to reduce places for theives to hide
- Look after your keys and never put any personal details on / with your keys.
- Leave lights on when you go out.
- Consider a home security system (just make sure you remember to turn it on).
- Invest in good quality locks for doors and windows.
- Keep fences in good repair and lock any side gates.
- Keep valuables / cash out of sight.
- Consider setting up a Neighbourhood Support Group.
When you're away
- Try and make your home looked 'lived in'.
- Have someone collect your mail for you or arrange for it to be put on hold.
- Have someone cut your grass for you if going away for an extended period of time.
- Consider automatic timers for lights.
- Have a friend or neighbour close your curtains at night.
- Let a neighbour know where you're going and when you're due back and if possible get them to use your driveway and washing line from time to time.
- Be wary of advertising your absence on social media.
There's some great crime prevention information and videos on the New Zealand Police website.
The information contained in this article is of a general nature and should not be taken as advice. It reflects the opinions of the writer only and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of New Zealand Home Loans (NZHL).