We all hear that winter is a bad time to sell your home. Is it really?
There is less competition in the winter so your chances of selling your home for a premium price are higher.
There are certain things you can do to make sure that your open homes in the winter will show your home at its best.
Let in the Light
- Pull up the blinds, open the shutters, push back the drapes on every window.
- Turn on every light in the house, including appliance lights and closet lights.
- Brighten dark rooms by placing spotlights on the floor behind furniture.
- Turn off televisions and computers.
Turn on the Heat
- Pump up that thermostat. It's better to heat the house a degree or two warmer, then turn it to normal just as the open home begins. This prevents the heating from turning on during the open home and a warm home will encourage the buyer to linger.
- Light the fire to create a real homely ambiance.
Create a Mood
- Make your living room appear romantic by placing two champagne glasses near a champagne bucket on the coffee table.
- Add the luxury of ‘throws’ across the arms of your sofa.
Turn your bathroom into a spa with the following ideas:
- Hang plush robes.
Roll up face cloths, tie with a ribbon and place in a basket on the vanity.
- Set up a grouping of soaps, lotions and shampoo.
- Place vases filled with winter flowers around the house.
- Set a breakfast tray on the bed containing a coffee cup, saucer, napkin, rolled-up newspaper.
- Dress your dining room table for a dinner.
- Turn on the Music, soft music, such as jazz or classical which is soothing.
Ease Up on the Scents
- Many people are allergic to certain scents and deodorizers, so don't spray the air or plug-in air fresheners.
- Don't burn candles or spray perfume in the bedroom for the same reason.
- If you're going to bake cookies or simmer spices, put out munchies so buyers aren't disappointed. More than one sad buyer has said, "Oh, darn, I thought there were cookies in here!"
Make it Visually Pleasing
- Display photographs showcasing your summer flower gardens and lush green lawns.
Make Your House Sparkle
- Wash windows
- Remove any cobwebs.
- Polish chrome faucets and mirrors.
- If your carpet is plush, vacuum in one direction.
Written by Pauliene van Strien
Pauliene is a Licensed Real Estate Agent with Mike Pero based on the beautiful Kapiti Coast. Having seen a fair bit of the world after visiting NZ she lost her heart to it and in 2014 took the plunge emigrated her with her husband. You can follow Pauliene on her Facebook page or contact her on email@example.com or 04 902 7800
The information contained in this article is of a general nature and should not be taken as advice. It reflects the opinions of the writer only and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of New Zealand Home Loans